With the holiday season quickly approaching, it is important that we establish good oral habits so that we can maintain a healthy smile despite and indulgences the festivities may bring. If you are wearing orthodontic braces, your traditional ways for brushing your teeth may not be enough. Food particles can easily get stuck between braces and your teeth, so it is important to develop the skills necessary to reach all areas of your mouth. Here are a few tips and skills to keep in mind:
- Brush your gumline at a 45-degree angle. Also be sure to brush all your teeth at the gumline and above and below the braces.
- Always rinse your mouth with water before brushing. This can loosen any debris that has gotten stuck in your braces.
- Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
- Continue brushing your teeth twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Do not miss your regularly scheduled appointments with your orthodontist.
- Make sure to keep up the habit of attending your professional cleanings and oral exams with your dentist.
The dentists at Smiley Dental & Orthodontics can craft you a customized plan to determine which orthodontics treatments work best for your needs. If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled dentists in Dallas, Texas, please call us at 214.613.1877 to speak with a member of our team. Don’t let tooth decay dampen your holiday festivities!